Thursday, March 19, 2009

Eco-Bling Mulch


It's been a while since I last posted. My integrative medicine practice has been busy growing to include three new doctors. Now I'm back to greening my life again and especially interested in our garden.

Mulch. It's the poor relation to the hip, trendy low-water plants. The illegitimate child of the brilliant hardscape. But now it's time for mulch to get its proper due.

I was thumbing through this month's Garden Design over my oatmeal this morning, thinking about how to mulch one very shady part of our yard in Rockridge। I've been tremendously inspired by Marcia Donahue's work nearby and I'm wondering how to acquire vintage bowling balls and enormous ampersands as I don't see many cool ones on Ebay. Marcia, help!? Here's some snaps from her extraordinary art garden here in Berkeley.







Then I was thinking beach glass when I happened upon an ad for American Specialty Glass products, which are 100% recycled and tumbled to remove all sharp edges. They're based in Utah and members of the organization my husband founded, the US Green Building Council. So, we like them already.

Check out the options.


Their website looks as homegrown as mine but they have a few very cool installations. Here's one from the "Mineral Spirits Garden." I don't see more details on their website.



Looks like they've mostly done commercial applications but that's how it's been with green building. Time for more applications in private residences.

Help me decide between these options which are to go against a redish/brown FSC-redwood fence. I like the jewel tones best.



But what's not to love about purple and amber?





Please vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment